High-Risk, but Hidden: Binge Drinking among Men Who Have Sex with Men and Transgender Women in Lima, Peru, 2012-2014
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsPassaro, R. Colby
Segura, Eddy R.
Lama, Javier R.
Lake, Jordan E.
Clark, Jesse L.
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherTaylor and Francis Ltd.
JournalSubstance Use and Misuse
AbstractBackground: Binge drinking (BD) is common in Peru, but may not be routinely detected by standard assessments of hazardous drinking. Objectives: We describe prevalence and risk behaviors of men who have sex with men (MSM) and transgender women (TW) in Peru who met criteria for BD as compared with those who met criteria for hazardous drinking. Methods: In a cross-sectional sample of MSM and TW from Lima (2012-2014), we calculated prevalence of BD (consuming ≥6 alcoholic drinks per occasion by AUDIT-3 criteria), conducted bivariate analyses of associations of BD with demographic and behavioral characteristics, and compared prevalence and behaviors of BD to those of hazardous drinkers (identified by AUDIT-10 criteria). Results: Of 1,520 MSM (n = 1,384) and TW (n = 137) with median age 27 years, 74.4% of MSM and 86.9% of TW met criteria for BD. Among MSM, BD was associated with a greater likelihood of using alcohol (41.6% vs. 13.8%; p <.01) or drugs (7.8% vs. 2.8%; p <.01) prior to a recent sexual contact. Among TW, BD was associated with greater frequency of alcohol use (44.9% vs. 11.1%; p <.01) or unprotected anal intercourse (58.8% vs. 33.3%; p =.04) during ≥1 of their three most recent sexual contacts. There was a higher prevalence of BD (75.5%) than hazardous drinking (53.2%) in our sample, with binge drinkers exhibiting similar sexual risk behaviors to hazardous drinkers. Conclusions: Binge drinking is common among MSM and TW in Lima, associated with risky sexual behavior, and may not be adequately captured by AUDIT-10 criteria.
- Impact of alcohol use on sexual behavior among men who have sex with men and transgender women in Lima, Peru.
- Authors: Herrera MC, Konda KA, Leon SR, Deiss R, Brown B, Calvo GM, Salvatierra HJ, Caceres CF, Klausner JD
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 1
- Alcohol misuse, risky sexual behaviors, and HIV or syphilis infections among Chinese men who have sex with men.
- Authors: Liu Y, Ruan Y, Strauss SM, Yin L, Liu H, Amico KR, Zhang C, Shao Y, Qian HZ, Vermund SH
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 1
- Sexual Partnership-Level Correlates of Intimate Partner Violence Among Men Who Have Sex with Men and Transgender Women in Lima, Peru.
- Authors: Passaro RC, Segura ER, Gonzales-Saavedra W, Lake JE, Perez-Brumer A, Shoptaw S, Dilley J, Cabello R, Clark JL
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Binge Drinking among Men Who Have Sex with Men and Transgender Women in San Salvador: Correlates and Sexual Health Implications.
- Authors: Peacock E, Andrinopoulos K, Hembling J
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- A Qualitative Assessment of Alcohol Consumption and Sexual Risk Behaviors Among Men Who Have Sex With Men and Transgender Women in Peru.
- Authors: Vagenas P, Brown SE, Clark JL, Konda KA, Lama JR, Sánchez J, Duerr AC, Altice FL
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 7