Leukocytoclastic vasculitis associated with nontyphoidal Salmonella in a patient infected with human immunodeficiency virus
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Montenegro-Idrogo, Juan José
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
JournalInternational Journal of STD and AIDS
AbstractA 27-year-old Peruvian woman living with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in clinical stage B3 and not on antiretroviral therapy presented with a ten-day history of fever, chills, night sweats and a two-day history of skin lesions. On physical examination, several erythematous-purplish lesions were found on the face and legs. Meningococcal infection was suspected and ceftriaxone was started. Blood culture grew nontyphoidal Salmonella enterica. A biopsy of the skin lesions showed leukocytoclastic vasculitis (LCV); therefore, corticosteroids were added. After two weeks of antibiotic and corticosteroid treatment, the lesions had resolved, but they recurred two days after treatment with prednisone was stopped. Corticosteroids and combination antiretroviral therapy were started simultaneously and the lesions resolved without recurrence. HIV infection has been associated with higher rates of skin lesions in salmonellosis. LCV has been described both in the setting of HIV infection and salmonellosis. However, our review of the literature found no previous cases of LCV in concurrent HIV and salmonellosis.
- Nontyphoidal <i>Salmonella</i> bacteremia in antiretroviral therapy-naïve HIV-infected individuals at three public hospitals in Eastern Ethiopia: prevalence, antimicrobial susceptibility patterns, and associated factors.
- Authors: Mitiku H, Weldegebreal F, Marami D, Teklemariam Z
- Issue date: 2019
- Nontyphoidal Salmonellosis, Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection, and Ischemic Stroke.
- Authors: Piggott DA, Carroll KC, Lim M, Melia MT
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Leukocytoclastic vasculitis in a patient infected with human immunodeficiency virus.
- Authors: Chren MM, Silverman RA, Sorensen RU, Elmets CA
- Issue date: 1989 Nov
- Erythema elevatum diutinum in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Another clinical simulator of Kaposi's sarcoma.
- Authors: Requena L, Sánchez Yus E, Martín L, Barat A, Arias D
- Issue date: 1991 Dec
- Emergence of Community-Acquired, Multidrug-Resistant Invasive Nontyphoidal Salmonella Disease in Rural Western Kenya, 2009-2013.
- Authors: Oneko M, Kariuki S, Muturi-Kioi V, Otieno K, Otieno VO, Williamson JM, Folster J, Parsons MB, Slutsker L, Mahon BE, Hamel MJ
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 1