Prevalence of asthma symptoms in Latin America: the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC).
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons
AbstractThe prevalence of respiratory symptoms indicative of asthma in children from Latin America has been largely ignored. As part of the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC), 17 centers in 9 different Latin American countries participated in the study, and data from 52,549 written questionnaires (WQ) in children aged 13-14 years and from 36,264 WQ in 6-7 year olds are described here. In children aged 13-14 years, the prevalence of asthma ever ranged from 5.5-28%, and the prevalence of wheezing in the last 12 months from 6.6-27%. In children aged 6-7 years, the prevalence of asthma ever ranged from 4.1-26.9%, and the prevalence of wheezing in the last 12 months ranged from 8.6-32.1%. The lower prevalence in centers with higher levels of atmospheric pollution suggests that chronic inhalation of polluted air in children does not contribute to asthma. Furthermore, the high figures for asthma in a region with a high level of gastrointestinal parasite infestation, and a high burden of acute respiratory infections occurring early in life, suggest that these factors, considered as protective in other regions, do not have the same effect in this region. The present study indicates that the prevalence of asthma and related symptoms in Latin America is as high and variable as described in industrialized or developed regions of the world.
- [Satellite symposium: Asthma in the World. Asthma among children in Latin America].
- Authors: Mallol J
- Issue date: 2004 May-Jun
- [Prevalence of asthma in Chilean students. Descriptive study of 24,470 children. ISAAC-Chile].
- Authors: Mallol J, Cortez E, Amarales L, Sánchez I, Calvo M, Soto S, Strickler A, Kyling A, Sanhueza I, Albornoz C
- Issue date: 2000 Mar
- Epidemiological studies of the very high prevalence of asthma and related symptoms among school children in Costa Rica from 1989 to 1998.
- Authors: Soto-Quiros ME, Soto-Martinez M, Hanson LA
- Issue date: 2002 Oct
- [Changes in the prevalence of asthma in Chilean school age children between 1994 and 2002. International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC)--Chile phases I and III].
- Authors: Mallol J, Aguirre V, Aguilar P, Calvo M, Amarales L, Arellano P, Palma R
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Self-reported prevalence and risk factors of asthma among Korean adolescents: 5-year follow-up study, 1995-2000.
- Authors: Hong SJ, Lee MS, Sohn MH, Shim JY, Han YS, Park KS, Ahn YM, Son BK, Lee HB, Korean ISAAC Study Group.
- Issue date: 2004 Oct