Asthma and Rhinitis in South America: How Different They are From Other Parts of the World.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsChong Neto, Herberto José
Rosário, Nelson Augusto
Latin American ISAAC Study Group
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherKorean Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Clinical Immunology and the Korean Academy of Pediatric Allergy and Respiratory Disease
JournalAllergy, Asthma and Immunology Research
AbstractAsthma and rhinitis epidemiology has wide variations around the world. The aim of this review was verify the prevalence of asthma and rhinitis in South America and report differences from other regions of the world. We reviewed studies with International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC) methodology in South America, Phases I and III. In South America the ISAAC Phase I ranked four countries among top ten in prevalence of asthma and three countries among top ten in prevalence of rhinoconjunctivitis. ISAAC Phase III showed little changes in asthma and rhinitis prevalence in South American countries. The prevalence increases of asthma and rhinitis in South American centers indicate that the burden of both is continuing to rise, but the differences in prevalence are lessening.
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States
The following license files are associated with this item:
- [Prevalence of symptoms of asthma, allergic rhinitis, conjunctivitis and atopic eczema: ISAAC (International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood) in a population of schoolchildren in Zagreb].
- Authors: Stipić-Marković A, Pevec B, Pevec MR, Custović A
- Issue date: 2003
- Global map of the prevalence of symptoms of rhinoconjunctivitis in children: The International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC) Phase Three.
- Authors: Aït-Khaled N, Pearce N, Anderson HR, Ellwood P, Montefort S, Shah J, ISAAC Phase Three Study Group.
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Worldwide variations in prevalence of symptoms of allergic rhinoconjunctivitis in children: the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC).
- Authors: Strachan D, Sibbald B, Weiland S, Aït-Khaled N, Anabwani G, Anderson HR, Asher MI, Beasley R, Björkstén B, Burr M, Clayton T, Crane J, Ellwood P, Keil U, Lai C, Mallol J, Martinez F, Mitchell E, Montefort S, Pearce N, Robertson C, Shah J, Stewart A, von Mutius E, Williams H
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- Worldwide trends in the prevalence of asthma symptoms: phase III of the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC).
- Authors: Pearce N, Aït-Khaled N, Beasley R, Mallol J, Keil U, Mitchell E, Robertson C, ISAAC Phase Three Study Group.
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Prevalence of rhinitis-related symptoms in Latin American children - results of the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC) phase three.
- Authors: Solé D, Mallol J, Camelo-Nunes IC, Wandalsen GF, Latin American ISAAC Study Group.
- Issue date: 2010 Feb