Sera of Peruvians with fever of unknown origins include viral nucleic acids from non-vertebrate hosts.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsPhan, Tung Gia
Del Valle Mendoza, Juana Mercedes
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSera of Peruvians with fever of unknown origins include viral nucleic acids from non-vertebrate hosts. 2017 Virus Genes
PublisherSpringer International Publishing
AbstractSerum samples collected from 88 Peruvians with unexplained fever were analyzed for viral sequences using metagenomics. Nucleic acids of anelloviruses, pegivirus A (GBV-C), HIV, Dengue virus, and Oropouche virus were detected. We also characterized from two sera the RNA genomes of new species of partitivirus and dicistrovirus belonging to viral families known to infect fungi or arthropod, respectively. Genomic DNA of a putative fungal cellular host could be PCR amplified from the partitivirus-containing serum sample. The detection in human serum of nucleic acids from viral families not known to infect vertebrates may indicate contamination during sample collection and aliquoting or human infection by their presumed cellular host, here a fungus. The role, if any, of the non-vertebrate infecting viruses detected in serum in inducing fever is unknown.
RightsArchived with thanks to Virus genes
DescriptionEl texto completo de este trabajo no está disponible en el Repositorio Académico UPC por restricciones de la casa editorial donde ha sido publicado.
- Effect of viral nucleic acid testing on contamination frequency of manufacturing plasma pools.
- Authors: Nübling CM, Unkelbach U, Chudy M, Seitz R
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Comparing viral metagenomics methods using a highly multiplexed human viral pathogens reagent.
- Authors: Li L, Deng X, Mee ET, Collot-Teixeira S, Anderson R, Schepelmann S, Minor PD, Delwart E
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Viral Nucleic Acids in the Serum Are Dependent on Blood Sampling Site in Patients with Clinical Suspicion of Myocarditis.
- Authors: Pawlak A, Przybylski M, Durlik M, Gil K, Nasierowska-Guttmejer AM, Byczkowska K, Ziemba A, Gil RJ
- Issue date: 2016
- Viral metagenomics demonstrates that domestic pigs are a potential reservoir for Ndumu virus.
- Authors: Masembe C, Michuki G, Onyango M, Rumberia C, Norling M, Bishop RP, Djikeng A, Kemp SJ, Orth A, Skilton RA, Ståhl K, Fischer A
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 24
- False-positive results in metagenomic virus discovery: a strong case for follow-up diagnosis.
- Authors: Rosseel T, Pardon B, De Clercq K, Ozhelvaci O, Van Borm S
- Issue date: 2014 Aug