Impact of Food Assistance Programs on Obesity in Mothers and Children: A Prospective Cohort Study in Peru.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationImpact of Food Assistance Programs on Obesity in Mothers and Children: A Prospective Cohort Study in Peru. 2016:e1-e7 Am J Public Health
PublisherAmerican Journal of Public Health
JournalAmerican journal of public health (Am J Public Health.)
AbstractObjectives. To assess obesity risk among mothers participating in Community Kitchens and children participating in Glass of Milk (Peru food assistance programs). Methods. We analyzed prospective data from the Young Lives study. The exposure consisted in varying degrees of benefit from any of the programs (no participation in any of the programs, program participation for some months, or program participation nearly every month) at baseline (2006–2007). The outcome was overweight and obesity in mothers and children at follow-up (2009–2010). Results. Prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity was 15.5% and 5.1%, respectively; the corresponding figures for mothers were 40.5% and 14.6%. Children exposed nearly every month to the Glass of Milk program had a 65% lower risk of becoming obese compared with children not participating in the program (relative risk [RR] = 0.35; 95% confidence interval [CI] = 0.18, 0.66). Mothers participating frequently in the Community Kitchens program had almost twice the risk of becoming obese compared with those who did not participate (RR = 1.93; 95% CI = 1.18, 3.15). Conclusions. Participating in food assistance programs in Peru was associated with a lower risk of obesity in children and greater risk of obesity in mothers.
- Association between food assistance program participation and overweight.
- Authors: Chaparro MP, Bernabe-Ortiz A, Harrison GG
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Wealth index and risk of childhood overweight and obesity: evidence from four prospective cohorts in Peru and Vietnam.
- Authors: Carrillo-Larco RM, Miranda JJ, Bernabé-Ortiz A
- Issue date: 2016 May
- [Social programs and reducing obesity in Peru: reflections from the research].
- Authors: Diez-Canseco F, Saavedra-Garcia L
- Issue date: 2017 Jan-Mar
- Sugar, stress, and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: early childhood obesity risks among a clinic-based sample of low-income Hispanics.
- Authors: Watt TT, Appel L, Roberts K, Flores B, Morris S
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Overweight and obesity in school children aged 5 to 11 years participating in food assistance programs in Mexico.
- Authors: Cuevas-Nasu L, Hernández-Prado B, Shamah-Levy T, Monterrubio EA, Morales-Ruan Mdel C, Moreno-Macías LB
- Issue date: 2009