Wealth index and risk of childhood overweight and obesity: evidence from four prospective cohorts in Peru and Vietnam.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
CitationWealth index and risk of childhood overweight and obesity: evidence from four prospective cohorts in Peru and Vietnam. 2015: Int J Public Health
PublisherSpringer International Publishing
JournalInternational journal of public health (Int J Public Health)
AbstractOBJECTIVES: To estimate the incidence and risk of childhood overweight and obesity according to socioeconomic status in Peruvian and Vietnamese school-aged children. METHODS: Longitudinal data from the Young Lives study were analyzed. Exposure was wealth index in tertiles. Outcome was overweight and obesity. Cumulative incidence per 100 children-years, relative risks (RR), and 95 % confidence intervals (95 % CI) were calculated. A hierarchical approach, including child- and family-related variables, was followed to construct multivariable models. RESULTS: The cumulative incidence of overweight and obesity was 4.8 (95 % CI 4.1-5.5) and 1.7 (95 % CI 1.3-2.2) in the younger and older Peruvian cohort, respectively; and in Vietnam 1.5 (95 % CI 1.2-1.8) and 0.3 (95 % CI 0.2-0.5), respectively. The incidence of overweight and obesity was higher at the top wealth index tertile in all samples. In the older cohorts, comparing highest versus bottom wealth index tertile, RR of overweight and obesity was four to nine times higher: 4.25 in Peru (95 % CI 2.21-8.18) and 9.11 in Vietnam (95 % CI 1.07-77.42). CONCLUSIONS: The results provide important information for childhood obesity prevention in countries moving ahead with economic, epidemiological and nutritional transitions.
- Short sleep duration and childhood obesity: cross-sectional analysis in Peru and patterns in four developing countries.
- Authors: Carrillo-Larco RM, Bernabé-Ortiz A, Miranda JJ
- Issue date: 2014
- Preschool overweight and obesity in urban and rural Vietnam: differences in prevalence and associated factors.
- Authors: Do LM, Tran TK, Eriksson B, Petzold M, Nguyen CT, Ascher H
- Issue date: 2015
- [Spatial analysis of childhood obesity and overweight in Peru, 2014].
- Authors: Hernández-Vásquez A, Bendezú-Quispe G, Díaz-Seijas D, Santero M, Minckas N, Azañedo D, Antiporta DA
- Issue date: 2016 Jul-Sep
- Incidence of childhood obesity in the United States.
- Authors: Cunningham SA, Kramer MR, Narayan KM
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 30
- Prevalence and incidence of overweight and obesity among Vietnamese preschool children: a longitudinal cohort study.
- Authors: Do LM, Tran TK, Eriksson B, Petzold M, Ascher H
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 19