Development and analysis of furazolidone-resistant Escherichia coli mutants
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsMartínez Puchol, Sandra
Pons, Maria J.
Ruíz Roldan, Lidia
Torrents De La Peña, Alba
Ochoa, Theresa J.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMart ınez-Puchol S, Gomes C, Pons MJ, Ruiz-Rold an L, Torrents de la Pe~na A, Ochoa TJ, Ruiz J. Development and analysis of furazolidone-resistant Escherichia coli mutants. APMIS 2015.
PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons, Inc.
JournalActa pathologica, microbiologica et Immunológica Scandinavica (APMIS.)
AbstractFurazolidone-resistant mutants were obtained from four clinical isolates of diarrhoeagenic Escherichia coli. The stability of the resistance and the frequency of mutation were established. The minimal inhibitory concentration of furazolidone, nitrofurantoin, nalidixic acid, ampicillin, chloramphenicol and tetracycline was established both in the presence and absence of the efflux pump inhibitor Phe-Arg-β-Naphtylamyde. The presence of mutations in the nitroreductase genes nfsA and nfsB was analysed by PCR; sequencing and their enzymatic activity was assessed by a spectrophotometric assay. Alterations in outer membrane proteins were studied by SDS-PAGE. The frequency of mutation ranged from <9.6 × 10-10 to 9.59 × 10-7 . Neither an effect on efflux pumps inhibited by Phe-Arg-β-Naphtylamyde nor cross-resistance with the antibiotics studied was observed. Nineteen mutants (52.94%) presented mutations in the nitroreductase-encoding genes: 17 in the nfsA gene (15 mutants with an internal stop codon, 2 with amino acid changes), 2 in the nfsB (all amino acid changes). Alterations in the outer membrane proteins OmpA and OmpW were also observed. Although more studies are necessary to find other resistance mechanisms, present data showed the low potential of selecting furazolidone-resistant mutants, together with the lack of cross-resistance with unrelated antimicrobial agents.
DescriptionRevisión por pares
- Oxygen-insensitive nitroreductases: analysis of the roles of nfsA and nfsB in development of resistance to 5-nitrofuran derivatives in Escherichia coli.
- Authors: Whiteway J, Koziarz P, Veall J, Sandhu N, Kumar P, Hoecher B, Lambert IB
- Issue date: 1998 Nov
- Incidence and Genetic Bases of Nitrofurantoin Resistance in Clinical Isolates of Two Successful Multidrug-Resistant Clones of Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium: Pandemic "DT 104" and pUO-StVR2.
- Authors: García V, Montero I, Bances M, Rodicio R, Rodicio MR
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Fitness and molecular mechanisms of resistance to rifaximin in in vitro selected Escherichia coli mutants.
- Authors: Pons MJ, Mensa L, Gascón J, Ruiz J
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Which mechanisms of azithromycin resistance are selected when efflux pumps are inhibited?
- Authors: Gomes C, Martínez-Puchol S, Durand D, Lluque A, Mosquito S, Ochoa TJ, Ruiz J
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- In vitro development and analysis of Escherichia coli and Shigella boydii azithromycin-resistant mutants.
- Authors: Gomes C, Pons MJ, Magallon-Tejada A, Durand D, Lluque A, Mosquito S, Riveros M, Mercado E, Prada A, Ochoa TJ, Ruiz J
- Issue date: 2013 Apr